Posts Tagged ‘Nikola’
Things have been good. I’ve been in a good mood most of the time. I find myself smiling ridiculous amounts, listening to my favourite band of all time, The Doors, a lot and just generally being happy, even when broke, unemployed and somewhat stuck in the suburbs. (The only thing getting me down is a chunk of the Serbian community that has been gossiping about me being a junkie. Thanks a lot, folks. As if I didn’t feel removed enough from that community already!)
Nikola and Jasmina are still in Byron Bay, making the south-west a little less fun, but Zig is back from Kempsey, making Sydney ten times better. We hung out in Newtown the other day, my Happy Place where I need to move to soon, and I saw this girl I once met in Hyde Park when she and a bunch of others asked Morgan and me to join their ‘party’. (Read about that here.) She calls herself Poppy Salmon and is really adorable and wears lots of bright colours. She recognised me before I could figure out where I knew her from.
Also, I got to hang out with Emma, finally – it had been too long. We + Morgan went to the Aquarium to see the greatest creatures on the planet – my beloved dugongs. I was so happy, I almost cried! They are so fantastic! That was a really good day. The Aquarium is such a relaxing, lovely place to be; entry should cost less because if it did, I’d be there every day! Emma changed that Killers song into “are we human or are we dugong?” because she is brilliant like that! (Photos here).
I finally wrote that review that was taking forever. It’s up on The Dwarf: here.
Also, help me decide. 5th April – to take part in a zine fair in Wollongong OR to see Evan Dando at the Annandale? Or to somehow squeeze both in?
Annie & I saying bye to Marie on Oxford St after we saw The Wahas play at Spectrum on a Wednesday night.
Seeing Galija play at a Serbian venue in Canley Heights with Jasmina, Nikola, my sister and her friends. I was sick and didn’t have a good time but the music was beautiful. & I had Kitty Power on my side!
More photos from our lazy day at Stanwell Park.
Hyde Park day.
Adventures in Liverpool with Jasmina & Nikola.
No updates in recent times because my computer has fucking died!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s made me unwilling to update because I’m only borrowing my dad’s computer for short amounts of time. This is of course sad and frustrating because if there is no way of fixing my precious computer, I will lose a shitload of files – music, photos, writing, lots of pictures of male models, etc. The only good thing to come out of this is the SHINY NEW LAPTOP my parents bought me today. It was named Professor Balthazar by my dad….apparently it’s some cartoon; I’ll have to look it up. But I dig the name so I’m keeping it. In other news today, I was spoilt rotten by my family. The laptop + new perfume (Allure by Chanel – so good) and a Lomo Supersampler from my sister which I named Marcel (I picked the name a long time ago when I fell in love with the camera and decided I had to own it). Oh and wonderfully trashy zebra-print curtains for my room (which, by the way, is now cleaner than it has ever been).
Just so I don’t forget what I’ve been doing, so I can write about it properly later on, here’s a quick recap (what I can remember, anyway): saw Slumdog Millionaire with Jasmina & Gran Torino with Jasmina, Nikola and Nenad; went to Wattamolla Beach twice, once with Jasmina, Nikola and Nenad, then with Jasmina, Slavica, Milan, their cousin Rada, and Sanda; kind of maybe possibly admitted to myself that I’ve kind of sort of developed a new crush who is kind of sort of really great; developed a cold which I’m trying to beat before my birthday (on Wednesday!).
Some things I’ve been up to since I last remembered to update…and with my memory, I bet I’ll forget about a bunch of things:
- Hung out with my friend Anni from Albury-Wodonga. I’ve known Anni longer than I’ve known most people, yet we’ve only actually seen each other in person twice. We (plus her boyfriend Dan) hung around Hyde Park a bit before they had to head back to the airport.
- Went to Drazen’s Slava which was…uncomfortable. I really dislike his parents and the people they know. Jasmina, Nikola and I left soon after, hung around Black Rose for a while before Nikola had to go to work, then Jasmina and I went to her place and watched Family Guy for a while.
- Hung around a park near my house in the early hours of the day a few times.
- Hung out with Morgan in Hyde Park & went to Big Day Out with Morgan, Mark and Nina (and some of their friends), which was a lot of fun, minus the intense heat. We saw bits and pieces of Tzu, The Grates, Lupe Fiasco, The Ting Tings and some band inside Lilyworld, but the bands we actually saw were Pendulum, Simian Mobile Disco, Hot Chip and The Prodigy. Pendulum and Hot Chip were both really good but Simian Mobile Disco and The Prodigy were fucking amazing!!! During The Prodigy someone broke a giant glow-stick in half and started pouring it all over everyone…for like a minute it was the most fun thing ever but then it started to burn our skin and we had to frantically look around for water to wash it off. I sustained many little injuries on the day…some of which I’m still recovering from, a week later! But it was a really good day and I don’t even mind that we missed Neil Young, because The Prodigy were so insanely good and perfect for how I was feeling.
- Saw The Prodigy at the Hordern Pavilion with Jasmina, Nikola and Nenad which was once again, totally fucking amazing. I could actually focus on the music this time which was great. They are just….so, so, so good! I got a sweet Prodigy bag! At the end, as the crowd was leaving one of the songs playing was that Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You song and everyone was singing along. It was pretty great! Also, The Prodigy ended with Out of Space and cut off the sound right at the end to leave just the crowd singing! Was awesome.
- Spent three consecutive days in The Ghetto. Day 1 was spent hanging around Liverpool with Jasmina and Nikola, then playing pool in Bonnyrigg (and being patriotic because it was the Bonnyrigg Serbian Club!), then after Nikola went to work, going to my place to eat, then back to Liverpool where we hung out with Nenad, Drazen and Milan (Nenad’s brother) in Memorial Avenue…then Drazen went home and we went up to Nenad’s to watch Resident Evil & How I Met Your Mother. Day 2 was Nenad’s Slava which was mostly just a lot of hanging around Nenad’s room looking up hilarious, horrible ‘music’ video clips from Former Yugoslavia. So bad yet so fucking funny! And completely, completely inappropriate. Day 3 was Nenad’s 20th birthday. We spent the night drinking at his place (well…I wasn’t drinking but I was so sober, I felt completely out of it!) which was a lot of fun until someone who shall not be named got too drunk and too loud and we got kicked out of the apartment by Nenad’s scary mother. But before that happened, lots of all-male nudity and bonding managed to happen… (More photos here.)
Friday, 16th January, was nice. I woke up to ridiculously hot weather that made me unwilling to leave the house during the day. I was home alone, had learned how to roll proper joints, and the weather was nice – therefore there was only one way to approach the day: get stoned; laze around in the sun; read; swim; laze around in the sun some more. It was so lovely. In the evening I met up with Morgan in the city. We were sitting in Hyde Park smoking when two girls came up to us and asked if one of us could accompany them to buy alcohol…I assume because one of them didn’t have ID or something. Anyway, they ended up hanging out with us for a while and were rather interesting. They’re called Chelsea and Kat and are starting a site called Tea Darling. Apart from the good side which included interesting conversations, cigarettes and champagne, there was also a slightly terrifying side – there was a creepy man who’d apparently been sort of following Chelsea and Kat around Hyde Park, and he sat near us and….now prepare yourselves…exposed himself and….pleasured himself….then walked off to a tree to, I assume, finish his business… It was the most disturbing thing I’ve ever witnessed and really quite frightening and disgusting. Then when we thought he’d disappeared, he stood in some bushes behind us until, thankfully, Chelsea yelled at him that he was scaring us and to please go the fuck away. Anyway, so we hung out with them a bit, then headed off to Luna Park for Lee’s going away gathering at the bar there (I had no idea there was a bar at Luna Park!) which was nice, except I didn’t really know most of the people there so I was sort of in my own world. Morgan and I bought light-up Hello Kitty lollipops…. KITTY POWER!
On Saturday, 17th January, I went to see Galija again, except that this time wasn’t as good because there weren’t as many people and I felt really sick. Not even the company of Jasmina and Nikola, nor Sasa’s crushing hugs could make me feel better, though his dance moves did improve my mood a bit. I still felt ill, though. The music was amazing, of course.
…so I wrote these things right after they happened but forgot to post them, and have forgotten to update since so I’ll try and remember what I’ve been up to and post it later on.
Photos of The Wahas & Marie and your truly, taken by ANNIE LY.
These last few days have been good, except for the intense heat.
On Tuesday I went to Job Find Training again (painfully boring and useless), then hung out with Andrew later on and learned the rules of 20/20 cricket. On Wednesday I went to the dentist, then to see The Wahas at Spectrum with Annie and Marie. We were also joined by Leesy, Dave and Serena & Morgan, Mark and Nina but they all went in separate ways instead of inside Spectrum where they should have been. The Wahas played a great gig and if you missed it this week, you can see them for the next two weeks, Wednesdays, at the same place, same time, same price (Spectrum, 8pm onwards, $10). I strongly recommend everyone see this band. They are amazing! Today I went to Stanwell Park with Jasmina, Nikola, Nenad and Drazen to laze around on the beach. It was so nice. The weather was much cooler than in Sydney and I love going up and down the coast every now and then just to be somewhere a little more quiet than Sydney, and a little different. It makes me crave a road trip around Australia. The waves were so strong that I was toppled over by them and almost taken out to the deeper water because I couldn’t grab onto anything and was just getting pulled by the power of the water. Basically, the ocean made me its bitch. We bought hot chips from a place that was a café, fish and chip shop, newsagent, video rental place and general grocery store all in one. Impressive! Driving back with the windows down, insane wind blowing on our faces, sunnies on, sand everywhere, messy hair, blasting Zana’s Dodirni mi kolena. Oh yes! It was such a good day. I took lots of photos with my camera from the 80s named Dani California, which I am looking forward to developing. (I have 3 films waiting to be developed, and no money whatsoever.)
I’m also really looking forward to the next few days but my financial situation is kind of a cunt which may get in the way of me really enjoying myself… Lame.
I’m becoming strangely attached to my dreadlocks. I really want to get this haircut I’ve been lusting over for ages, but the thought of cutting off my dreads makes me a bit sad…